Best National Parks around the Gold Coast
National Parks – believe it or not, sometimes we get tired of our beautiful beaches and want to immerse ourselves in nature of another sort!
Lucky for us, away from the beaches, The Gold Coast has an incredibly diverse environment with our National Parks offering lush green rain forests, crystal clear creeks and rock pools, waterfalls you can swim under and an abundance of breathtaking views.
Here are some of our favourite national parks:
- Burleigh Heads National Park – easily accessible from Burleigh Hill approximately 20 minutes from Coolangatta, this oceanfront national park offers lush tropical rainforest and incredible views over the surf below. Use the well-maintained trails to wind through the headland and pop out at Tallebudgera Creek, which offers ideal, calm swimming conditions
- Tamborine National Park – located inland from Nerang, approximately 45 minutes from Coolangatta. Tambourine Mountain offers something for everyone. Easy walks to picturesque lookouts over the valley and out to the ocean and more intense hikes to stunning waterfalls. There are wineries and breweries to satisfy all and cute stores offering handmade goods and artisan foods. Check out the Gallery Walk for everything in one place!
- Woolumbin National Park – accessible from Murwillumbah, approximately 45 minutes from Coolangatta. Woolumbin National Park is best known for majestic Mount Warning which can be recognised by its distinctive sharp peak and can be seen for miles in every direction. The hike itself takes around 5 hours return and is fairly intense with a chain assisted rock climb, but the breathtaking views at the top are definitely worth it. For an easier option, try the Lyrebird Track, crossing Breakfast Creek and winding through the lush, tropical environment. After you have conquered the peak, stop in at Mavis’ Kitchen at the base of the mountain for an incredible meal in a beautiful setting.
- Springbrook National Park –approximately 1 hour drive from Coolangatta. Luscious landscape formed by the eruption of a volcano 23 million years ago, offers countless photo opportunities! Home to the famous Natural Bridge where you’ll find a waterfall that pours through a cave, completely backlit by natural light. Keep an eye out for glow worms! There are trails to suit all fitness levels including well maintained, paved paths. Head out to ‘The Best of All’ lookout, which lives up to its name!
- Lamington National Park – accessed at 2 points (Binna Burra and Green Mountains) both approximately 1 hour 15 from Coolangatta. Picture lush rainforest, ancient trees with root systems at head height and waterfalls galore. There are lookouts offering stunning views over the valley and to the coast beyond and crystal clear bubbling creeks winding by the trails. There are trails to suit all fitness levels with the Border Track joining the two sections at just over 20kms one way.
Here are our favourite Beachfront properties – so when you come and stay you can go from beach front to national park in under an hour!